Never Remove A Feature In A Computer Program

One of my golden rules in updating computing programs, is never to remove a feature however obscure it is. The reason is obvious, in that if the feature exists someone will find an extremely useful way to use it.

Here are two changes in other software systems that are annoying me at present.

The Windows 10 Photo Viewer

I use an SD card to capture images in my camera..

On my old laptop with Windows 7, if I was looking at a folder of images, I could scroll past the last image to the first and vice-versa, which was a very useful feature, when looking for an obscure image.

Windows 10 doesn’t have this feature and it is very annoying.

Zopa’s New System

I invest some of my savings in Zopa and use it as a high-interest one month-access deposit account in a concept that I call hybrid banking, which I wrote about in The Concept Of Hybrid Banking.

The old system used to give two figures about your money, that was yet to be invested.

• The money sitting there waiting in the queue for new borrowers.
  • The allocated money waiting for the borrower to be checked and sign up.

The first figure was invaluable, as by watching it, it enabled me to see how constipated the system was. There’s not much point, of putting more money in Zopa, if it will just sit there. It could be more productive in crowdfunding an outstanding idea.

But in the new system, they have added these two figures together.

It’s not catastrophic, but it’s a nuisance.

Conclusion

Never disobey, the title of this post!

February 16, 2021 - Posted by | Computing, Finance | ,

1. Another thing to add; never add a feature that can’t be switched off. An example is the “top results ” in Outlook 365. Some people may want Microsoft’s idea of what is most important, but many people, like me don’t want to have to scroll past them every time I do a search.

Comment by John Wright | February 16, 2021 | Reply

2. Totally agree! I actually, think some of older versions like Outlook like 93 are better!

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

Comment by AnonW | February 16, 2021 | Reply

3. I use Windows 10 and with the old Photo Viewer from Vista/Windows 7/8. And when scrolling through the photos it wraps from last to first or vice versa.

It is still there – just hiding.

There were thousands of complaints with the new Windows 10 Photo Viewer – mainly the look and feel not being as nice.

I do not have the details if how to fix it to hand but will look, so Google it. Beware – the fix involves a registry ‘patch’/setting change so implement with care.

Comment by TW | February 16, 2021 | Reply

• Thanks! I can only see one point to the dreadful Windows 10. To make money for M$.

Comment by AnonW | February 16, 2021 | Reply

• I generally use irfanview for everyday photo and scanning work. Free, Lightweight, fast works on all versions of windows, efficient and has enough features (and an open filter architecture, as well as an open import architecture) for most tasks (including lossless conversion of PDF to JPG/TIFF, although that also needs an install of free ghostscript).

Regarding removing of features:
      Zopa probably removed the feature because it was “leaking” information advantageous to competitors.
      For security reasons, sometimes you should remove code, if a feature it supports is little used/redundant, to reduce the “attack surface”. Yes, a configurable switch for backwards compatibility is a little friendlier. There is a cost aspect too, in reducing the amount of regression testing needed for new releases, and support costs.

Comment by MilesT | February 16, 2021 | Reply

4. Found it – go to this page

scroll down and there are 2 links – one to activate and one to deactivate. You end up with 2 files on your computer which you can execute accordingly.

Comment by TW | February 16, 2021 | Reply

• Thanks again!

Comment by AnonW | February 16, 2021 | Reply

5. Interesting that a one hyphen – comes out as a question mark in a black diamond (and 3 of them for on e hyphen), in the emails!

Comment by TW | February 16, 2021 | Reply