The Irish Boiler Problem

When I think of Scotland being independent, I’m always reminded of a problem, that was ongoing at a hotel we stayed in, in Dublin.

The boiler for the central heating had failed and the poor plumber was trying to get it going again. The boiler had been made in England a few years before and it wasn’t a cheap one. But it turned out that as it was rather a special, the spare that the plumber wanted wasn’t held in Ireland. And as it was about six on a Friday evening, the factory in I think Birmingham had closed for the night.

So the hotel had to wait a few days for heating. At least they had an immersion heater for hot water.

The plumber told me, how this was often happening as with expensive plumbing and its spares, was generally not kept in Ireland as it was only a small country and it was usually ordered overnight from England.

One of the things that might be a problem with Scottish independence, is that companies don’t keep stock north of the border and it becomes much more difficult to get something urgently. You might also have more paperwork and different currencies and VAT rates.

Prices in Scotland might rise! Or they might fall. Who knows?

September 15, 2014 - Posted by | World | ,

1. I am amazed that so many people seem to think independence is a good idea. And frankly, I am alarmed that MEN is reporting that Greater Manchester might try for independence. I think that is the thing which would make me move house!

Comment by nosnikrapzil | September 15, 2014 | Reply

2. As regards Manchester, its problem is that it isn’t a coherent city, like Liverpool, London, Newcastle, Bristol, Glasgow and a few others. Manchester suffers, because the various councils never agree. Even the North East didn’t want an assembly.

As to Scotland, I only have one desire from this referendum. It puts the question to bed once and for ever.

Comment by AnonW | September 15, 2014 | Reply

3. I agree on both counts. I certainly don’t want referenda on Scottish (or any other) independence popping up every 10 or so years. And just as we had the statin/come out vote on what was then the Common Market, even if Scoltand votes for independence, they might decide in a few years time that they want to come back in!

Comment by nosnikrapzil | September 15, 2014 | Reply

4. Students of the law of unintended consequences are going to be very busy indeed should the vote go Yes. The owner of the lovely care home my mum is in is extremely worried for example. It’s right on the border with Scotland, but none of the residents bar one, my mum, are from England. What on earth will happen to it?

Comment by R | September 17, 2014 | Reply

• I have friends in both Edinburgh and Glasgow and the two cities never agree on what is best! A Yes vote will give Scottish comedians enough material to last until 2200!

My friend in the Borders incidentally is voting No!

Comment by AnonW | September 17, 2014 | Reply

5. I can see why Borders-folk are more inclined to vote No. If the vote goes Yes maybe Salmond will try to retake Berwick-upon-Tweed!

Comment by R | September 18, 2014 | Reply