What Game Were Corbyn And Milne Playing?

To sabotage the Labour party’s support for Remain, as I detailed in For The Female Of The Species Is More Deadly Than The Male, seems to me a very strange thing for Seamus Milne and Jeremy Corbyn to do.

Most commentators felt that by voting Leave, it would put the country into a recession. Other commentators have stated that the EU needs the UK as a balance to Germany.

My father old me about the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact between Hitler and Stalin , which he felt was two equally bad regimes supping together. To him, there was no difference between the extreme left and the extreme right and let’s face it Stalin’s Russia was as bad at killing people as Hitler’s Germany.

So in some ways to me, this seems like two of the hard left , have deliberately aided those to the right to remove the UK from the EU.

Perhaps, they are hoping that this will cause the EU to collapse!

And who would benefit from that?

Vladimir Putin.

I hope I’m wrong.

Certainly the pair of them have destroyed any credibility the Labour Party had left!

June 26, 2016 - Posted by | World | , , , , ,

1. Corbyn was playing the game of bring down Cameron by letting him lose the referendum. He will be happy to have played this part in history. I did think that he was setting up McDonkey to succeed him, as Corbyn was only the front man in the 2015 Labour leadership election, however McDonnell’s denials were very emphatic today, so either he is a good bluffer or Corbyn will sit tight and watch his MP’s resign the whip as well. The coup plotters have made mistakes – forewarning the unions on Friday by moving a formal motion of no confidence, timing their coup while the fair weather £3 supporters are still entitled to vote and possibly dripping out the resignations (although the last keeps the story in the news).

Corbyn was always previously anti-pathetic to the EU and I don’t think he cares if Brexit damages business or the UK – evening out what ever wealth is left is more important to him than creating it in the first place.

Comment by Mark Clayton | June 26, 2016 | Reply

• I think that it will all be irrelevant, as the Labour Party has a cat in hell’s chance of winning the next election. I don’t think Nicola Sturgeon would touch them with a barchpole.

Comment by AnonW | June 26, 2016 | Reply

2. The thing with Corbyn is that he has that rare commodity in a politician – integrity and the strength to stand by his principles. No way of knowing how keen he was or wasn’t to stay in EU, he may well have been holed into a corner despite his principles, by his party faithfuls. But he was rather lacklustre in the campaign.

Comment by nosnikrapzil | June 26, 2016 | Reply

• Lacklustre is an understantement!

Comment by AnonW | June 26, 2016 | Reply

• There Is every way of knowing how keen is was on the EU – he has spoken and voted against it consistently whilst an MP and then despite his party’s position fiddled while the treaty of Rome burned…

Comment by Mark Clayton | June 27, 2016 | Reply

3. Yes, he seemed very disinterested in the whole thing. I know how he feels, I knew which way I would vote from very early one, and I was fed up of the hype for weeks before, and it is now even worse with Leave having won. I have heard some alarming conversations too. I was in Morrisons in Piccadilly Gardens on Friday lunchtime, and two women in the queue were talking about it all, saying they weren’t bothered about the pound because they didnt go abroad, but we had kept the Queen which was most important, what would happen if we had lost our Queen, that was why they voted Leave. It was clear they didnt understand the difference between the Sovereign and maintaining sovereignty. Because none of the parties involved bothered to explain it. Plus this whole £350m a week to NHS, it wouldn’t even pay for 1 extra bed per week per hospital. And I have based this on the number of health trusts, and some trusts have as many as four or more hospitals. Having worked in NHS management, and been chair of local association of school governors, I know how little some of these huge sounding amounts of money actually are. But no-one actually explained this to the general public who haven’t got knowledge of those things!

Comment by nosnikrapzil | June 26, 2016 | Reply