Corbyn Courts The Jewish Vote

This article on the Jewish Chronicle is entitled How the unveiling of Labour’s antisemitism report turned into a Corbyn calamity. This is the first paragraph.

It was the political equivalent of running into a burning building with a can of petrol and liberally chucking the fuel over anything you could find.

What Jeremy Corbyn did this morning almost defied belief. Even in these extraordinary times, it was an act of such reckless abandon that veteran political correspondents watched open-mouthed.

Mr Corbyn came to the launch of his party’s report into antisemitism, conducted by Shami Chakrabarti, after the worst week of his decades-long political career.

I’d gone to their web site to get a digest after reading the various tweets after the Jewish MP; Ruth Smeeth was abused.

I’m not Jewish, but I have Jewish genes, so I certainly wouldn’t vote for the Labour Party, even if they were the only non-Fascist candidate.

June 30, 2016 - Posted by | World | , , ,

1. I have read what he said, and I really don’t think that he meant it as an insult in any way; but it was sufficiently ambiguous for a person feeling sensitive anyway about Labour and anti-Semitism to take it as an insult. It could be taken that he was comparing the Israeli govt to IS. I don’t know if I have Jewish genes, although I suspect I may have down one line, but regardless of that I have a great affinity to Judaism and Jewish people, and have since small childhood.

I have just read the Jewish Chronicle, and a couple of other articles from non-Jewish press about the incident relating to Ruth Smeeth. I agree, those comments were abusive and uncalled for and potentially those made by the guy from Momentum could potentially have been staged – I am not saying they were, I am saying they could have been, in order to try and get a reaction from a Jewish Labour MP. Which is unacceptable but un-provable.

Comment by nosnikrapzil | June 30, 2016 | Reply

• Did you get your coeliac disease from a Jewish Line, like I did?

Comment by AnonW | June 30, 2016 | Reply

2. Not that I am aware of – there is a line going back as far as deaths from public records started in 1837 of people in 50s, 60s, and 70s dying from bowel/stomach related disease which imply cancer, and of children who failed to thrive. Many of the living descendants of that line have coeliac and/or ulcerative colitis.

I am not sure I have a Jewish line, just that there are some very Jewish sounding ancestors who often don’t have their children christened, however, they could have been closet Roman Catholics. My uncle was baptised RC, which came to light a few years before he died, when another family member assumed people knew. Technically, my mother was, because her father was but didnt tell anyone he was! I don’t think my mother realised, I certainly didnt tell her.

Comment by nosnikrapzil | June 30, 2016 | Reply

3. I too was deeply upset to hear of the MP who was reduced to tears by the remarks of a Momentum activist at the event (who suggested she was part of a right-wing media collusion or something along those lines). The guy who made the remark should be suspended+investigated. However, I think Jeremy Corbyn’s remarks about the state of Israel were indeed fair to make. Although I would say that the Israeli government’s actions against Palestinians are not nearly as extreme as those of Daesh (so-called ISIS), they are no more justifiable and it seems that there is media spin on this one once more, turning legitimate criticism of Israel into accusation of anti-semitism. Of course, choice of language and phrasing must always be carefully made in these situations to avoid causing offence, but I wonder if someone had compared Saudi Arabia to ISIS (see #SaudiArabiaAreISIS on Twitter), would it get the accusation of Islamophobia? Probably not.

Comment by Joshua S | June 30, 2016 | Reply

• The decline of Israel from a state that many on all sides of the political spectrum, respected in the sixties to its current position, is one of the causes of the increase in violence in the Middle East. Remember in those days there were strong links between the British and Israeli Labour parties.

In the 1970s, one of my neighbours was a retired Colonel of the Royal Engineers. He had been in Palestine before the Second World War , enforcing the League of Nations mandate. After the war, he was there again and was in the King David hotel, when it was blown up by the Irgun. His stories were some of the most intriguing I ever heard.

I just wish, I’d recorded them!

Comment by AnonW | July 1, 2016 | Reply

4. Corbyn seemed to equate the actions of the Israeli government with those of ISIS terrorists. I am not sure he intended this, after all he has got a lot on his mind at the moment, but if he really wants to alienate the left wing Jewish intelligentsia, he is certainly going the right (or should that be wrong) way about it.

More sad was Shami Chakribati throwing away her integrity and even joining the Labour party so as not to seem anti Labour and then putting her name to this rather poor whitewash of Livingstone and others. Red Ken in particular has a long an inglorious record of insulting Jewish journalists and others of that faith and it is time any respectable party stopped giving him a platform.

Comment by Mark Clayton | June 30, 2016 | Reply

• I read the Parliamentary sketch in The Times yesterday about Prime Minister’s Questions on Wednesday.It was entitled Labour Ghost Brings A Chill To The House. I listened and that summed it up to me. It was a PMQs without the usual atmosphere. You say Corbyn has a lot on his mind. It sounded like he had then too!

This mess created by Johndon and Corbyn, needs a statesman to sort it out. There are senior Tories talking sense on their side like Hesseltine and Clarke, who can help pull their side together, so that they agree a course of action.

But where is that person on the Labour side? Anybody with the right experience of this sort of crisis would be totally unacceptable to the Corbynistas.

Comment by AnonW | July 1, 2016 | Reply

5. It is all a horrible mess – and the whole point of the Common Market was apparently to help prevent further bloodshed in Europe after the 2 world wars. Hopefully this horribleness won’t turn into civil skirmishes between the various factions.

Comment by nosnikrapzil | July 1, 2016 | Reply