The Anonymous Widower

How Could The Twenty Mile Per Hour Limit Be More Strongly Enforced?

Where I live in Hackney, in common with some other London boroughs, there is a lot of twenty mile per hour zones.

20 MPH Signs In Hackney

20 MPH Signs In Hackney

As the picture shows they are well signed.

But this doesn’t stop drivers and motorcyclists rushing around, often quite a lot in excess of the allowed limit!

Councils have been criticised recently over using box junction cameras as cash machines, as this article on the BBC details. The title of London councils raise millions through box junction fines summarises the article well!

It may be an erroneous observation on my part, but as London gets more congested and the traffic slower in Central London, it does seem that when the traffic eases as it often does in Hackney, that drivers take more than a legal advantage.

Excessive speed also seems to have got worse in this area, since the 20 mph limit was brought in. Red rags and bulls come to mind.

Why can’t we set up a network of automatic number plate recognition cameras, that locate and timestamp vehicles in the 20 mph zones.

Computers would then check all the timings and issue tickets to those, who obviously got from A to B at over the speed limit. Just like cameras on motorways around road works.

It could be a very nice little earner for councils.

October 17, 2016 - Posted by | Travel | ,

4 Comments »

  1. 98% of drivers admit speeding. You can work out what the other 2% are doing. Few observe the 30mph limit unless the road is narrow, kids are playing or there is enforcement. Fewer still observe the 20mph limit, particularly in the many places where it is totally inappropriate. Revenue generate by speed enforcement has already been discredited by over zealous enforcement in many areas and tricks by those doing the enforcement. The preferred method near me seems to be – pick a nice bit of dual carriageway away from any houses, no record of accidents etc. with an arbitrary 30 or 40mph limit and hide / disguise a tally van in a place where people speed up due to the otherwise good conditions. Sadly there are a number of self-righteous non drivers who think it is a good idea to use traffic enforcement as a cash cow. There has never been a referendum on lower speed limits, but drivers are voting with their right foot!

    Comment by Mark Clayton | October 17, 2016 | Reply

  2. I used to be a driver who drove fast and rarey got a ticket. Most of this area is residential and the streets are quite wide and full of cyclists and pedestrians.

    Since I moved here there has only been three serious accidents locally where anybody was hurt, let alone killed. But there have been two deaths and a policeman told me that both involved young girls, who were paying too much attention to their music, rather than listening for traffic

    A policeman told me too, that getting rid of the bendy buses seemed to improve road safety and lthe accident rate dropped.

    What I find bad about both Manchester and Birmingham, is that compared to London, the traffic is much faster in the centre and I don’t like walking there.

    The interesting city to be a pedestrian is Budapest, where drivers seem to be very polite.

    Comment by AnonW | October 17, 2016 | Reply

  3. There are 20 zones all over the area I live, but the signs on poles, not the roads. I have to say, that with traffic in some areas if the signs were painted on the road, they would be almost invisible due to stationary traffic! I drive in Manchester, the trams scare the daylights out of me, one place in particular where they come out of a bridge, as traffic crosses the tram lines just a couple of feet from entrance of tunnel! I always park in Northern Quarter – Tib St, and use my scooter.

    Comment by nosnikrapzil | October 18, 2016 | Reply

    • The signs are on poles as well.

      Comment by AnonW | October 18, 2016 | Reply


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s