Marks And Spencer Have Changed My Life

Coming back today, I went to Marks and Spencer in Waterloo station, which although it is not a full stop, must be one of their bigger Simply Food shops in stations.

These pictures sum up the visit.

Some of the products have only been available in the last year or so.

• Chicken Pakoras
  • Crisps With Exotic Flavours
  • Gluten-Free Gastropub meals.
  • Humous
  • Kent IPA
  • Pasta Salad
  • Scotch Eggs
  • Snacks Wth Taste

When I was diagnosed nearly twenty years ago, you were lucky to find anything quick to cook in any shop, except eggs and fish.

What would I like to see now?

• Most ready-meals  made gluten-free and labelled as such on the top.
  • Ravioli, that is gluten-free.
  • Sausages and burgers gluten-free, as in Marks and Sainsburys.
  • More gluten-free real beers.

I think it is true to say, that it’s going my way.

October 30, 2016 - Posted by | Food | , , ,

1. […] route to Waterloo worked today, as did the route home after a raid on the excellent Marks and Spencer at Waterloo. The only problem was that a 141 bus to my house, had broken down and I had to wait at London […]

Pingback by Using Southern Crossrail Lite « The Anonymous Widower | October 30, 2016 | Reply

2. I often find myself having to take packed lunch to places because I don’t pass anywhere that sells something I can buy. I popped into the little Tesco Local round the corner from my house on the way back from church this morning, not to buy gluten free, but always see what they have. I found a GF pasta pot, the pasta is maize based, and the sauce is a tomato and spice concoction. I bought but haven’t eaten it yet, but it looks as if it might be a nice change from a sandwich or cheese and crackers. I almost never eat processed stuff, but this looks as it it may be nice – it cost around the £2.00 mark, which is what I pay for a Morrisons GF roll.

Comment by nosnikrapzil | October 30, 2016 | Reply

3. The M & S pasta salad is substantial and probably a bit more.

I now carry one of those funny IKEA combined spoon/fork/knife in my bag now.

Comment by AnonW | October 30, 2016 | Reply

4. I haven’t been into M&S in ages, didnt know they did a pasta salad – I try and tootle off there this week and get one.

Comment by nosnikrapzil | October 31, 2016 | Reply

• You certainly find them in Piccadilly, but I’ve never used another branch in Manchester.

The tiny branch at the Angel,, where my grandmother shopped before the First World War and I have done since 1970,, even stocks them. But the gluten-free range is large there. They even stock a gluten-free Real Ale there that’s brewed in Kent. It is rather a good beer.

Comment by AnonW | October 31, 2016 | Reply

5. I go into Manchester most Fridays. But I park outside Afflecks Palace in Tib St – Northern Quarter, scoot into Starbucks to get a coffee to take away, up Piccadilly Gardens, and then into Morrisons Local to pick up a sandwich, and to my volunteer work in Oldham St. Chat to some of the regular rough sleepers on the way. It is quite a distance to go via Piccadilly, when I am in hurry and the pavements are crowded – makes scooter hard work! I get a Morrisons gluten free savoury cheese and ham roll most times, sometimes egg and cress. I will pop into M&S next time I am at Trafford Centre, or the passing the Simply Food in Didsbury or Hazel Grove.

Comment by nosnikrapzil | November 1, 2016 | Reply