Spark Energy Supply Switch To Ovo Energy Going ‘Smoothly’

The title of this post is the same as that of this article on the BBC.

If the article is true, which as it is on the BBC, I feel there is a high chance that it is, I think that this means, that OFGEM has now got a backstop for those customers, who choose an energy company that fails.

It probably means that there is less risk in changing to an energy company, that you don’t know, but was recommended by a trusted friend or a reputable consumer affairs program or magazine.

As to OVO, I have used them for several years now, as have several of my friends.

January 31, 2019 - Posted by | World | ,

1. Nonsense!

Comment by simonjkyte | February 6, 2019 | Reply

• Explain why it is!

Comment by AnonW | February 6, 2019 | Reply

• OK
        Ovo took over Spark following the latter’s failure and administration – which is being undertaken by KPMG. Blair Nimmo and Alistair McAlinden of KPMG were appointed Joint Administrators of Spark (Spark Energy Supply Ltd – a different company to that of all Spark’s employees) on 28 November 2018. “Our role now, as administrators to Spark Energy Supply Ltd, is to work with those customers who owed money to the company to collect the outstanding balances. We will be working with Spark Energy and Ovo Energy to contact those customers shortly.”
        The money collected by the Joint Administrators will go to Spark Energy Supply Ltd’s creditors.
        I was billed for November’s energy use and paid the bill in full – as usual. However, my payment coincided with the period of Spark Energy Supply Ltd’s collapse, OFGEM’s intervention as Supplier of Last Resort and Ovo’s takeover of the operating company. We were promised a seamless transfer and ‘business as usual’ and OFGEM advised Spark’s customers not to switch supplier immediately. Mary Starks – OFGEM’s Executive Director for Customers and Markets said at the time, ’Spark Energy’s customers will stay on the same tariffs and all outstanding credit balances will be honoured, including money owed to both existing and former customers of Spark Energy.’
        However, alongside thousands of other customers I find that that bill has been passed to a debt recovery agency without informing me since the payment is being held by Ovo as a security deposit for my new account number. In other words, my payment has been taken from one account, offset as deposit in my new account and left me with an outstanding balance to be chased by the administrators.
        The gaining company is not handling previous debts although I have already settled subsequent bills with them. Passing me to a debt recovery agency without informing me – or, until this week – disputing any outstanding amounts, is morally offensive. Above everything, it shows a complete lack of respect or consideration for the consumer. Collection agencies are effectively chasing a bill I paid to Spark which Ovo has swiped. Throughout the period nobody has attempted to contact me or even had the common courtesy to inform me of what is going on.

Comment by simonjkyte | February 6, 2019

2. Have you informed OFGEM and the BBC’s Money Box of your situation?

I have no connection to OVO other than as a satisfied customer, but I do have a certain amount of knowledge about insolvency and the tricks companies approaching insolveadministration get up to.

Some of the things, that I’ve read I about some failed energy companies, strike me that some strange methods have been used.in the past.

Your statement, that the employees were employed by a different company that you signed up with, sounds like some sort of money-go-round beloved of the Carillions of this world.

Have you seen this entry on Money Saving Expert?

I think it dates from 2010

Comment by AnonW | February 6, 2019 | Reply

• Thanks for this. yes Spark was a big problem.
      I am not the only one in this situation see….https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5956089
      is MoneyBox any good?

Comment by simonjkyte | February 8, 2019 | Reply

• Not sure about MoneyBox. But this is the sort of problem they seem to cover.

Comment by AnonW | February 8, 2019

• Thanks – I don’t have a TV so I am not always aware of such things. But I will find out about it. Have written to my MP – don’t know if that will help and complained to KPMG and OFGEM as well as Ovo

Comment by simonjkyte | February 8, 2019

• Your statement, that the employees were employed by a different company that you signed up with…..
      the employees worked for Spark Energy Ltd. The failed company was Spark Energy Supply Ltd!

Comment by simonjkyte | February 8, 2019 | Reply

3. Did you see this in the FT from 2016?

It says that they sold to a lot of landlords, who insisted their tenants used Spark. Having been involved in a hire purchase company and credit checking of clients about fifteen years ago, I would not have wanted to use the company!

Comment by AnonW | February 6, 2019 | Reply

• Thanks again. Yep, I don’t know if it is true that the agencies got backhanders – my landlady in Australia certainly did not

Comment by simonjkyte | February 8, 2019 | Reply

4. My big issue is not so much that Ovo needs a deposit – although it is supposedly taking over existing contract. It is that I piad a bill which was then taken as a deposit and then had my details sent to a debt recovery company. scandalous.

Comment by simonjkyte | February 8, 2019 | Reply