Is The Pfizer Vaccine The New Betamax?

To me, the Pfizer vaccine may work well, but the precautions needed to deliver it safely are so onerous, I can’t see it being the most successful of vaccines.

If healthcare professionals and GP surgeries in the UK, are saying that the minus seventy delivery route is going to be difficult, then how difficult is it going to be to deliver it, in parts of India, Africa and South America.

I can’t see the current Pfizer vaccine lasting very long, before it is either overtaken by one of the many others vaccines under development or Pfizer reformulate it, so it has an easier method of delivery.

It truly is the new Betamax.

December 24, 2020 - Posted by | Health | , , ,

1. The only problem with your comparison with Betamax it that Betamax was far better than VHS. It only lost out because of powerful marketing of an inferior product.

Comment by John | December 24, 2020 | Reply

• Spot on rather have substance over style any day.

The product has a few days life once its out of the deep freeze into a normal fridge but get the challenges that equatorial countries will bring but mankind more than capable of solving the challenge.

Comment by Nicholas Lewis | December 24, 2020 | Reply

2. I saw something – it may have been on one of the many excellent webinars that the blood cancer charities are hosting to keep people such as myself fully up to date with what is happening and how we as patients can best take care of ourselves safely. They have really stepped up to the mark have the blood cancer charities; especially Leukaemia Care and CLL Support. Sorry, I digress – I am good at that – anyway whatever it was, they showed how the deep cold storage worked, there are logistics companies who specifically handle these type af products, and there are hospitals with the storage facilities to keep them at that temperature. However, the hospital closest to me, Stepping Hill, has these facilities and I gather the vaccines have been delivered. I haven’t heard of anyone being vaccinated in my local area, although some have been in the “posher” areas. The hospital had CQC in in late January, and got a bad report – requires a lot of improvement. I was an inpatient at the time they were there. I agree with their decision.

Comment by nosnikrapzil | December 24, 2020 | Reply

• I’ve only heard of one vaccination and that was the one I reported of a 85 year old coeliac, who is fit as a flea. On the other hand in this area of Hackney the practice nurse and the lady who does my washing, who both get all the gossip, haven’t seem to have heard of many cases.

Comment by AnonW | December 24, 2020 | Reply

3. The complexity of the Pfizer vaccine suggests its best used in professional establishments like hospitals, GP Medical Centres and care homes .

Former Prime Minister Tony Blair has suggested that instead of everyone getting two vaccinations we should speed up progress by everyone getting just one vaccination which gives nearly as much protection as two but allows twice as many people to be vaccinated thus ensuring more people get some protection and maybe helps to reduce the spread .
    This idea has been suggested by some medical professionals and is not just Tony Blair but it demonstrates how if he was still PM he would be thinking of fighting the war on covid19!

One issue the above raises is can one mix the Pfizer vaccine as first shot and another vaccine as the second shot ?

Questions even arise as to whether lockdowns where people don’t mix actually helps the virus to mutate by giving it time to mutate given how we hear of how many people have had the virus with no affect except production of T Cells or natural protection , Basically using Darwin’s theory of natural selection.
    I think testing to see if someone has already had the virus might be more useful than simply testing to see if someone has the virus given one can be clear today and pick it up tomorrow!

Comment by Melvyn | December 24, 2020 | Reply

• As to your point about testing to see, whether people have actually had the virus might be useful.

I posted about a trip from Liverpool to Manchester, where I shared a train with some boisterous Chinese students returning to University after a long flight from China. This was before the disease broke out seriously in mid-January. A weak or so afterwards, I seem to remember having mild flu-like symptoms, but nothing serious. So did I have the Covids and did my strong immune system protect me?

The test might find out, whether I was infected then!

I should say, that I’ve never had a fever or a done a lot of coughing since the Covids started.

Comment by AnonW | December 24, 2020 | Reply

4. This has popped up on the Manchester Evening News website – a total disgrace it being thrown away, they should be being as certain as they can about refrigeration.

Comment by nosnikrapzil | December 24, 2020 | Reply