Cooking Gluten-Free Pasta For One

I haven’t cooked any pasta since I moved here nearly two years ago.  But after Saturday’s Times published a list of pasta dishes saying they were the only ones you’d ever need, I thought I had better. Getting the amount of pasta correct has always been a problem and today, I decided that I had better do it by volume. So i carefully weighed out the 100 grams I need for myself of Dove’s Farm gluten-free penne.

100 Grams of Dove’s Farm Gluten-Free Penne

I reckoned it would just fit into a standard John Lewis tumbler and the picture shows I was right. So the dial shows 98, but I won’t argue about 2 grams. As you can see, I find a letter balance much better for small quantities than a proper set of scales, especially if you can adjust them for the weight of the container.

I then put the pasta into boiling water with a bit of salt for 6-8 minutes.

If I have time, I do taste it, but generally a measured cooking time works.

The sauce I used tonight was pea, mushroom and ham. It required.

• 150 g of shelled peas (fresh or frozen) – I used one of those little packets.
  • 30 g of butter
  • 150 g white mushrooms, sliced
  • 200 g ham, chopped
  • 250 ml double cream
  • 100 g grated parmesan

Firstly, whilst the peas were cooking, I sliced the mushrooms

150 g of Sliced Mushrooms

And chopped the ham.

200 g of Chopped Ham

after draining the peas, I melted the butter in a pan and then added the peas and the mushrooms, giving it a good stir.

After five minutes, I added the chopped ham and stirred it for a few minutes before I poured in the cream. I then added some salt and kept it warm.

Meanwhile, I started the pasta off and when it was cooked, I turned it into a serving dish.  I added the grated parmesan and stirred it rapidly.

Finally I added the sauce and mixed it all well.

Gluten Free Pea, Mushroom and Ham Pasta

It was rather nice, even if I say it myself. I have a feeling too that the peas compliment the texture of the pasta.

I shall be trying some of the other recipes from last Saturday’s Times.

August 28, 2012 - Posted by | Food | ,

1. You can get from places like Lakeland, and probably JL, containers into which you put your pasta or rice, add boiling water and leave for a while – average 10ish minutes I think, and the pasta is cooked – a similar idea to the wine coolers but they retain the heat so the pasta cooks.

Comment by Liz P | August 28, 2012 | Reply

• I like to do things properly. Or at least in a way, that my friend, who’s a Michelin-starred chef would approve of.

Comment by AnonW | August 28, 2012 | Reply

2. Well done James, it looks lovely.

Comment by Gillean Lazelle | August 29, 2012 | Reply

• It was and I’ve got some leftovers, which I’ll warm through for lunch.

All the ingredients, except the pasta came from the local littleWaitrose. They may be small, but they’d put Arkright to shame about what is crammed inside. I only need to use a big shop once a month for beer and cleaning stuff.

Comment by AnonW | August 29, 2012 | Reply

3. doubt anyone would aprove of some of the methods I use on the rare occasions I am able to actually a proper meal, with the lack of feeling in my hands. We only do big shop once a month. I will be popping in to Waitrose on my way home this morning, from church. Actually, on my way to the gym, havent been yet today, which is very unusual, I am generally at door as they open

Comment by Liz P | August 29, 2012 | Reply

4. Have you tried the 9 bars from Waitrose, they are excellent, really nice and very healthy

Comment by Liz P | August 29, 2012 | Reply

5. The only decent (and better than rivals) product that I source from Tesco is their own brand GF fusilli pasta shapes. I find it need a wee bit longer than regular pasta to cook.

Comment by Anne | September 1, 2012 | Reply

6. […] Cooking Gluten-Free Pasta For One […]

Pingback by A List Of Gluten-Free Recipes « The Anonymous Widower | July 27, 2013 | Reply