Any Americans Living In Stoke-on-Trent Can Vote For A Real Loony

I hsve just read this page on The Official Monster Raving Looney Web Site, which is entitled The Incredible Flying Brick will save Stoke.

As Screaming Lord Sutch used to say “Vote Loony! You know it makes sense!”

I first came across him in the 1966 General Election, where he stood in the Huyton consituency, which was where I was living at the time.

I remember him appearing on the radio in the 1990s and going through the original manifesto from one of his first elections.

February 16, 2017 - Posted by | World | , ,

1. “Strangely several of his proposals had been put into law, like lowering the voting age to 18.”

Really..? Now that *is* interesting! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Comment by Joshua Saxby | February 16, 2017 | Reply

2. Note that the original party name was the National Teenage Party.

I was at Liverpool University with Robin Saxby of ARM fame.

Comment by AnonW | February 17, 2017 | Reply

3. Not just the Looney’s standing in SoT we also have Nuttall (UKIP) and this nutter: –

she has been arrested

Comment by Mark Clayton | February 17, 2017 | Reply

4. I am being absolutely serious when I say this, having read the website of the woman arrested, I have to wonder about her mind and her cognitive ability, given her age, and some of the very odd things on her list. And the fact that an individual MP has no real power when it comes to lawmaking. I remember trying to explain this to my mother many years ago when she wanted to vote Communist, because the constituency candidate promised her that he would make all abortion illegal, and lock up the women who had had them, and the people who carried them out – including doctors in hospitals.

Other candidates included Harold Wilson I believe! Who was a lovely man, and a great constituency MP even when he was PM. He regularly wandered around Huyton Village with his pipe, stopping and chatting to people.

Comment by nosnikrapzil | February 17, 2017 | Reply

5. My digs were on Huyton Lane with a family called Vaughan. Their daughter Sheila was an England golf international and I remember stories from her mother about the work she did as a theatre nurse at Wrightington Hospital on hip transplants.

As to abortion, one of the ushers at my wedding was a policeman in the East End before the Abortion Act. They got fed up with clearing up all the mess and dead women from illegal abortions.

It’s one of the reasons, I support a woman’s right to chose.

Comment by AnonW | February 17, 2017 | Reply

6. When I left school I went to Occupational Therapy College in Huyton, hence around the Village a lot. However, I left college part way through due to the chaos of my home life affecting whatever I did, and got a job so that I could move out of my parents’ home.

I was brought up to believe that abortion is ALWAYS wrong. But I don’t believe that now, there are cases where it is the only humane option. Which comes down to the woman’s right to choose. There are circumstances in which I would have had a termination.

Comment by nosnikrapzil | February 17, 2017 | Reply