Is King’s Cross Station Ready For Parcel Trains?

In Is This The Shape Of Freight To Come?, I wrote about the converting of redundant electrical multiple units into 100 mph freight and parcel trains.

A couple of days ago, I was walking through Kings Cross station and took these pictures.

Note.

1. The wide platforms.
  2. The gates in the ticket barriers to allow vehicles through.
  3. The passenger entrances line up with the gates in the ticket barriers.

It does look like everything is setup to efficiently get cargo between the trains and the road network outside.

A collateral benefit, is that access to the trains for passengers is step-free.

August 7, 2021 - Posted by | Transport | , , ,

1. I can imagine elf & safety from NR having a meltdown over allowing vehicles onto the concourse though.

Shame they got rid of the parcels docks!!

Comment by Nicholas Lewis | August 7, 2021 | Reply

2. I suspect they can segregate passengers and vehicles either by time or platforms.

Comment by AnonW | August 7, 2021 | Reply

3. Platform 9 3/4 has been taking parcels (and tuck boxes) for years.

Comment by John Robin St.Clair | August 7, 2021 | Reply

4. Those of us well practised in avoiding the numerous speeding cyclists and scooters on pavements (where’s ‘elf & safety when you really need ’em?) should be able to cope with a few slow moving parcels vehicles on the King’s Cross station concourse.

Comment by JohnC | August 7, 2021 | Reply

• I suspect that most parcel and light freight services will be in the middle of the night!

Comment by AnonW | August 7, 2021 | Reply

5. This brings back memories. Being the most junior programmer at the time I was lumbered with the task of taking boxes of computer line printer output to the Red Star Parcels counter at Kings Cross in the early 1970s. I think they used to use passenger trains to carry parcels in those days.

Comment by HW | August 7, 2021 | Reply

• Red Star ran all over the country. When I was writing Artemis, I used to send the latest versions up to London using the system.

The Royal Mail killed it by offering an overnight service from everywhere to everywhere using their network.

Comment by AnonW | August 7, 2021 | Reply

6. […] am getting more convinced that the answer to the question I asked in Is King’s Cross Station Ready For Parcel Trains?, is in the […]

Pingback by Arriving In Platform 0 At Kings Cross « The Anonymous Widower | September 8, 2021 | Reply