People With Coeliac Disease Are At Higher Risk For Cataracts

The title of this post is the same as that of this page on Ocli Vision.

This is a paragraph from the article.

In a recent study published by the American Journal of Epidemiology, researchers found that people who suffer from celiac disease are at a much higher risk of developing cataracts than those who are not diagnosed with the disease.

On Monday, Boots identified that my cataracts had got worse and signed me up to a private hospital that could do them free on the NHS.

It was an offer I couldn’t refuse.

September 30, 2021 - Posted by | Health | , , , , ,

1. Sorry to hear about the cataracts but glad that you should be able to get them sorted relatively quickly. Others I have known speak highly of the results. I believe they operate on one eye and let that recover before treating the second eye.
    Good luck and I hope everything goes well. I love the pictures you take on your trips out.

Comment by Ron Collins | September 30, 2021 | Reply

2. Thanks for the information and the compliments,

The Boots I visited at the Angel Islington certainly had a couple of impressive new instruments.

Comment by AnonW | September 30, 2021 | Reply

3. Googling the subject I see that the connection of celiac disease with cataracts goes back a decade and almost exclusively in US medical literature, this mirrors much of what I’ve found with other conditions. Thank heavens we share a ‘common’ language. Surprisingly, to me at least, there is a great deal of online references in German from Swiss, German and Dutch sources.
    Anyway I’m glad to hear that your local Boots were so helpful and I look forward to hearing about the successful outcome.

Comment by fammorris | October 1, 2021 | Reply

4. I have the very start of cataracts, but not needing anything doing yet. I go to Boots as well, I find them very thorough. I also have T2 diabetes, and they always did my diabetic eye checks, and the optician I always saw because asked for him by name, always talked me through the results of the test. We now have to go to some place where a technician does the test and we go home and wait for a letter – which I now know is a standard one, and is rather a “snotty letter” to use a good northern phrase. It isn’t possible to have the diabetic test done privately, I have asked.

Comment by nosnikrapzil | October 1, 2021 | Reply

5. Spire Healthcare, Nuffield Health and The Moorfields Eye Hospital in London all advertise retinal screening in association with diabetes.
    My experience is that you’re often seeing the same consultants you would have seen under the NHS and may well find yourself using NHS facilities. In my case and I’m sure for others the local NHS hospital hosts a private health facility that in my case is run by Nuffield.
    That said I have, as person with a long term condition, personal experience of both my Primary and Secondary NHS Health Trusts purchasing services from the private health service. The whole thing is a mess.
    The reason that you may have been told you can’t have private treatment is that GPs, who broadly although not exclusively have to refer you for the treatment, seem the power to frustrate the practice; that at least is something I have had – we are after all queue jumpers.

Comment by fammorris | October 1, 2021 | Reply

6. In my case, Boots have teamed with a private eye hospital, with the NHS paying the bill. My GP thought it was a good idea, when I spoke to her on Wednesday. A friend, who used to work in the NHS, thought it could be that Moorfields is overloaded.

Comment by AnonW | October 1, 2021 | Reply

7. They phoned to book the first appointment a couple of hours ago. I can only say they were very professional.

Comment by AnonW | October 1, 2021 | Reply