Covid: Merck’s Antiviral Pill molnupiravir Slashes Chances Of Illness And Death

The title of this post, is the same as that of this article on The Times.

The title almost sounds to go to be true, but on reading the article, that seems to be even better.

• Halves the chance of going to hospital.
  • Slashes chance of death.

Xi Jinping was said to be unavailable for comment.

October 1, 2021 - Posted by | Health | , , , ,

1. Thanks for highlighting this. I am presently still shielding because despite having two A Z jabs a test has shown that I have not protection against the Covid-19 virus at all. I have zero antibodies. The only reason I know this is because I took part in a Clinical Study into T cells and senescent T cell and they tested for antibodies against this virus too.I am waiting to be offered a booster shot but am wondering what good this will do when the previous two did nothing to elicit an antibody response. I am hoping that a different vaccine might have a better result. If this new anti-viral pill gets the go ahead this is very encouraging. If there is a simple, effective pill to treat the disease I will probably take a few more risks. I think I would still maintain the usual self protection precautions though. At least until the number of infections in the population reduces.

Comment by Ron Collins | October 1, 2021 | Reply

• Hi Ron, I am in a similar position – I have a from of chronic leukaemia, and my immune system is very poor. I am only just very very tentatively going out a tiny bit. Today we visited our niece and her family, the first time since I have been in someone else’s house since March 2020. Our niece’s husband had his spleen removed many years ago, and they are doing regular tests etc and “being very careful”. So it felt safe.

I hadn’t been out anywhere really, certainly not indoors, until the RonaPreve was approved for use for people with inadequate immune systems. But I am VERY excited about the new oral drugs.

Comment by nosnikrapzil | October 2, 2021 | Reply

2. I am coeliac on a long-term gluten-free diet. I have yet to hear of anyone like me, who has had a severe dose of the covids.

Comment by AnonW | October 1, 2021 | Reply

• A person my daughter knows well was diagnosed coeliac in childhood, and is now probably a similar age to yourself. Sadly he got Covid very early on, and was very very ill, and now has long covid, again very ill. Very sad, he was an active man with lots of interests etc.

Comment by nosnikrapzil | October 2, 2021 | Reply

3. I must say that I have considered going onto a gluten-free diet myself even though I am not a coeliac. I have read though that the coeliac diet, although essential for those with this condition, has detrimental health effects on those who do not. You make a powerful and persuasive argument for the benefits of this diet and I believe what you say but perhaps non-coeliacs should take care before changing their diet.

Comment by Ron Collins | October 2, 2021 | Reply

4. In my previous reply, I said long-term. It does appear from Italian research that you need to be on the diet for at least six years, as all their test subjects had been.

I keep telling people more research needs to be done! My favoured method would be to see how many gluten-free meals are sent to Covid wards in hospitals, as anybody on a gluten-free diet would probably scream for it.

I always advise anybody who thinks about going gluten-free to get their GP to test them for B12 and coeliac disease. Sometimes, your body is trying to tell you something.

Comment by AnonW | October 2, 2021 | Reply

5. I have seen your previous blogs on this and have long thought that this is a suitable subject for study.
    I do not know if you have seen the recent NIHR newsletter. It is calling for suggestions for studies from patients and public. You can find it here https://www.nihr.ac.uk/patients-carers-and-the-public/i-want-to-help-with-research/suggest-a-research-topic.htm?utm_source=newsletter-sr&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sr-2021-09

Good research of your own discovering the possible link with your ankle. I hope it improves following the change in medication.
    Good luck.

Comment by Ron Collins | October 2, 2021 | Reply

• Thanks for the link.

I’ve since found out that some versions of cipro are not gluten-free. But it could be old news, that has since changed.

Comment by AnonW | October 2, 2021 | Reply