Westminster Proposes A Voluntary Mansion Tax

This may seem a bit strange for the Tories’ flagship Council, but it does seem well researched, according to a report in today’s Sunday Times.

Any house worth over £10 million would be put in a new band above Council Tax Band H and the owners would pay double the Band H rate of tax, which is currently £1,376 a year.

Westminster has 2,000 properties in this band, that are worth over £10 million and the scheme would raise £2.75 million, if everybody paid the extra, which would be voluntary.

It’s an interesting concept, that has been well-thought out.

But like most radical plans, I doubt it will see the light of day!

October 1, 2017 - Posted by | World | ,

1. Sounds like a good idea to me; people in such expensive properties should be paying a lot more than £1,376 per year. Not sure much we pay, but it can’t be far short of that!

Comment by nosnikrapzil | October 1, 2017 | Reply

• I actually pay more Council Tax here in Hackney, than I would in Westminster.

Comment by AnonW | October 1, 2017 | Reply

2. Interesting – how many state schools are in Westminster I wonder, and what other services are they providing. I suspect they may need fewer social workers, for instance. Indeed, many of the houses may not be lived in.

Comment by nosnikrapzil | October 1, 2017 | Reply

• Westminster is a lot more diverse borough than people expect! We used to life in the Northern part, in a fourth-floor walk-up block, which wasn’t of the best. We also used to have Lord Lucan’s mother canvass us for the Labour Party.

Comment by AnonW | October 1, 2017 | Reply

3. I dont really know much about the centre of London apart from tourist stuff, when we visited we stayed in Finchley, and then Barnet, it was where my aunts lived. We went to places, but I was only a child, and so I didnt really learn much. Plus it was ab out 50 years ago!

Comment by nosnikrapzil | October 1, 2017 | Reply

4. When we lived in that flat, it was 1970! London seems to me to be more mixed-up in terms of housing than say Liverpool, with expensive housing slongside 1960s council blocks.

Comment by AnonW | October 1, 2017 | Reply