Increasing GP Service Capacity

Yesterday, I phoned my GP at 14:00 and saw him at 16:00, as I was allocated a cancellation.

This article on the BBC is entitled One In Five Patients Regularly Misses GP Appointments. This is said.

Up to one in five patients is regularly missing GP appointments in Scotland, new research reveals.

A study of more than 500,000 people in the country found poorer patients living in affluent areas were the most likely to miss an appointment.

My GP Surgery is in a mixed area, but it does have a comprehensive text message system, so you can cancel appointments.

Surely, if any percentage of the missed appointments could be cancelled and reallocated, this would increase the capacity of the GP service.

December 7, 2017 - Posted by | Health |

1. My GP (just retired, but the practice continues, operates/d a triage service – you ring in the morning and describe the symptoms to reception. A GP rings back later and advises what to do or whether to come in for an appointment. Works well – I had no visits to my GP from 1993 to 2014 as a result – now he calls me in for check ups and blood tests etc.

Comment by Mark Clayton | December 7, 2017 | Reply

• How often have you missed an appointment? I cancelled one three hours before by text.

Comment by AnonW | December 7, 2017 | Reply

• Never, but then I have only had about half a dozen in adulthood.

Comment by Mark Clayton | December 8, 2017

2. My doctor has just introduced a chat on the website. That will cut between four and six visits to the doctor, as I just go in tell him a few INR readings and then he writes a prescription for 1 mg and 3 mg Warfarin. I can do that in perhaps forty seconds by chat.

Comment by AnonW | December 8, 2017 | Reply

3. Mine do phone appointments, which are great. You do have to wait a while to get face to face appointments with the most popular doctors.

Comment by nosnikrapzil | December 9, 2017 | Reply

4. I usually book by phone or pop in as I often walk past. They also have a modern building with a convenient toilet. I have three doctor’s surgeries within about four hundred metres.

Comment by AnonW | December 9, 2017 | Reply

5. I usually phone. They are nice practice, it isn’t a modern building, but it is very well converted, with everything fully accessible and everything light and bright and airy.

Comment by nosnikrapzil | December 9, 2017 | Reply