And The Wires Came Tumbling Down!

Today, I intended to go to Doncaster on the 11:03 train to Leeds from Kings Cross.

I had intended to travel in First on an Azuma, to see what the quality was like.

So I booked an Advance ticket online for around £50.

But then the train didn’t run, as the wires had come tumbling down!

This must be the third time, I’ve been affected by faulty overhead wires on the East Coast Main Line in the last few years.

In one case, we were delayed for about two hours and in the other, it didn’t affect me for long, as I was in an InterCity 125, which drove through the problem.

I have lost my fifty pounds, as you take the risk with an Advance Ticket.

Conclusion

Next time, I take the train on the East Coast Main Line, I’ll check trains are running before buying a ticket.

May 21, 2019 - Posted by | Transport | , , , ,

1. Surely you are entitled to some compensation as the scheculed trsin failed to run. Their fsult not yours.

Comment by Maurice Reed | May 21, 2019 | Reply

• Apparently, I’m not as it was an Advanced ticket! I have complained!

Comment by AnonW | May 21, 2019 | Reply

2. Surely if the train does not run you get a refund or can travel on another service / replacement coach?

Comment by R. Mark Clayton | May 21, 2019 | Reply

• Not with an Advance ticket. There are no trains to Doncaster and as I was booking an Azuma, there was no alternative.

Comment by AnonW | May 21, 2019 | Reply

3. “The electrification on the East Coast Main Line seems to be built and maintained by morons.”

Although I’ve read that others blame the poor build on the insistence of the then government to pare the construction costs to the bone.

Comment by Mark C | May 21, 2019 | Reply

• Around 1970, I met a guy who was involved in designing, installing and running high-power electrical networks. Later he went to work on the ECML electrification. He left fairly quickly, as he didn’t want a disaster on his cv.
      So your point is orobably correct!

Comment by AnonW | May 21, 2019 | Reply

• I can’t claim to have experience in the field but I do remember reading that the catenary mast spacing is greater than any comparable project.

There again what changes? I have read in another article the catenary for Liverpool-Manchester electrification is designed for max 90mph running. Short sighted?

Comment by Mark C | May 21, 2019

• The masts are spaced out!

Across Chat Moss the speed isn’t good! See Wikipedia! But then the main problem with TransPennine routes is that apeeds are low. East Anglia is flat and the Great Eastern Main Line is good for 100 mph as is Southampton to Ashford in places.

The North has a lot of slow lines, that need to be straightened. It will be a lawyer’s banquet!

Comment by AnonW | May 21, 2019

4. What happens if disruption affects my travel plans?
    If you decide not to travel due to disruption, you can claim a refund on any unused tickets without needing to pay an administration fee.
    FROM LNER CONDITIONS..

Comment by ME | May 21, 2019 | Reply

• I couldn’t as I had bought a cheaper Advanced ticket!

Comment by AnonW | May 21, 2019 | Reply

5. I am pretty sure LNER cannot refuse you a refund. The “Advance ticket terms and conditions” page on the National Rail web site says:
    “Your ticket is non-refundable. However, if the train you purchased a ticket for is cancelled or delayed and as a result you decide not to travel a refund will be offered on completely unused tickets and you will not be charged an administration fee.”

Comment by AnonH | May 21, 2019 | Reply

6. You are entitled to a refund with an Advance ticket, if you didn’t travel due the cancellation, or because you were delayed. Just contact LNER: https://www.lner.co.uk/customer-service/refunds/

Comment by DK | May 21, 2019 | Reply

• I sent Greater Anglia a polite message explaining the situation and I’ve just had an e-mail saying I’m getting a refund!

Why Greater Anglia? I always buy my on-line tickets from them, as they don’t pepper me with spam offers like some other train operating companies.

I’ll keep evereyone posted.

Comment by AnonW | May 24, 2019 | Reply