Who Stole All The M & S Gluten-Free Food?

Over the last few weeks, certain gluten-free lines in Marks and Spencer have started getting difficult to find.

Some of the things, I like that have been difficult have included.

• Ginger snap biscuits.
  • Gluten-free pies
  • Scones
  • Bloomer slices
  • Gluten-free muesli

Note that my supper is usually something I cook myself from scratch or one of the many M & S ready meals, that contain no gluten. It is usually washed down by a bottle of Adnams low-alcohol beer and followed by some fruit. Tonight, the fruit will be one of my favourites, which are strawberries and bananas.

I did think that the shortage of the lines I mentioned was due to a supply problem.

But then, there have not been shortages of other lines, that I buy, that are not specifically gluten-free.

So is it some gluten-free suppliers are having problems? Possibly.

But!

Regular readers of this blog will know that I believe that those coeliacs on a long-term gluten free diet seem to be unlikely to suffer a severe dose of the dreaded covids. There was no battle with the second dose!

I know for a start that my immune system gives short shift to any viral invaders, as it did with the AstraZeneca vaccine before they came to a truce.

So have others, including some with more medical knowledge than myself, come to the same conclusion about coeliac disease, the immune system, gluten and the covids and have gone gluten-free for safety?

For example, I’ve heard that those suffering from long covid have been tested for coeliac disease.

I’d love to be able to analyse the sales of gluten-free food.

October 11, 2021 - Posted by | Food, Health | , , , , , ,

1. My wife has a gluten free diet. Our Sainsbury shop today, at one of the ‘extra’ size stores was ok. The free from section, at least about 6 shelf units long, was stocked as per normal whilst the rest of the store suffered from the now common random shortages.

We also went into the M&S Foodhall in the centre of the city and I have to say is it difficult to work where M&S place free from items and perhaps only 1.5 shelf units by comparison, so not a particularly a wide range.

Comment by chilterntrev | October 11, 2021 | Reply

2. I think that fits, that there is not a shortage of gluten-free food. Marks don’t have a particularly large range, but they do seem to make a lot of ready meals and meats like sausages and burgers, that are gluten-free. They’ve recently launched a large range of beef ready feels, where all are gluten-free. And they seem to be going that way with ready-meals.

By the way, if your wife had the AZ vaccine, did she get a reaction?

Comment by AnonW | October 11, 2021 | Reply

• No reaction to the Covid vaccine job. Same reaction as to flu jab – arm a bit tender for day or is, more so on second jab, where needle went. She is on a gluten free diet but is not coeliac.

Comment by chilterntrev | October 12, 2021 | Reply

• Pfizer jabs.

Comment by chilterntrev | October 12, 2021 | Reply

3. M&S are suffering similar supply chain problems as everyone else. It’s a fact. It’s a combination of imported ingredients taking longer to arrive, haulage issues as already widely known about and the shortage of CO2, used to preserve some foodstuffs. This is not unique to M&S but the suppliers of food to M&S and the other retailers who share the same suppliers.

Comment by Andrew Bruton | October 11, 2021 | Reply

4. I am generally avoiding shops still, but I get my gluten free food delivered by Ocado, who stock the full range of M&S food, including gluten free. I don’t get many ready meals because we cook from scratch, but we get the carbonara which is lovely and sometimes a lasagne. The thing we have had problems with over past weeks are breads – Schar breakfast rolls, which were out of stock at Ocado and at Morrisons, which Neil goes to at 6.00 am to avoid people.And last time Ocado had run out of the M&S GF white bread rolls which I rather like. And the Scar Panini rolls. However, I have noted that Starbucks currently do a gluten free cheese and ham panini. It is ok, expensive at £3.50, and a bit more cheese would have been nice but it was ok. The Starbucks I use at present is a concession in the hotel in which my gym is located, so they don’t carry a full range. I am no longer doing my weekly trip into Manchester, which is where my usual normal Starbucks was, on the corner of Piccadilly Gardens. They were lovely, and so kind to the people who were homeless and in and around there. They did a coffee for £1.00, and let the people sit in to drink it if they stayed downstairs, so the people who objected to homeless people had to go upstairs, and there were small table outside as well, with umbrellas over them for people who wanted to sit outside instead.

Comment by nosnikrapzil | October 12, 2021 | Reply

5. I remember George Bullen and his lovely accent….

Comment by Elizabeth Campbell | October 16, 2021 | Reply

6. He was a very good maths teacher. But then he was one of the best of a very good bunch. I left Minchenden in 1965!

Comment by AnonW | October 17, 2021 | Reply

• Yes, he was the best maths teacher I ever had. What a coincidence! I left in 1965 too…after ‘O’ levels.

Comment by Elizabeth | October 17, 2021 | Reply

• I left for Liverpool University, where I met my late wife, who was from Barnet. Sometimes, it’s a very small world.

I’m now in Dalston.