Christmas, Bloody Christmas

Oh! How I hate Christmas!

I shall have lunch with my son and his friends.

On the other hand, it doesn’t cost me much. I will buy just three presents and a couple of good bottles of wine for Christmas lunch.

I can’t even get to the football on Boxing Day, as there are no trains and I can’t drive.

I think this could be my worst Christmas ever!

Let’s ban it!

After all, the only people who like it are children and I don’t know any of them!

Christmas has never been the same, since you could go down Spurs on Christmas morning to see the match and then come home to a late Christmas lunch!

And now it appears the Underground will be on strike on Boxing Day! They were last year and that was a day to forget. It incidentally looks to be the same argument about triple pay and a day off as well.

The sooner we take the numan element out of the trains the better.

December 14, 2011 - Posted by | Transport, World | , ,

1. What we need is a change of attitude, most every other country’s travel networks, far from grinding to a halt on Christmas Eve, are busy all Christmas Day. My last visit to Anaheim was on Christmas Day – it’s the busy day of the year at Disneyland. There was a time, not long since where the underground and buses ran til early afternoon in London., Who stopped that? Union power (days off for all) or Management (nobody wants it)? It our multicultural society there must be many transport workers to whom Christmas is nothing who would be happy to work.

Comment by peter hoskins | December 14, 2011 | Reply

• I used to travel regularly home to Suffolk, with a Central line driver/instructor coming off shift. I remember having a conversation with him about Christmas working. He said that generally wasn’t the problem and he would always volunteer to work Christmas Day if asked, but then he would have difficulty getting home, until the railways worked as well. It was the New Year, he dreaded, with all the drunks about.

Comment by AnonW | December 14, 2011 | Reply

2. HUMBUG !

Comment by George Bell | December 14, 2011 | Reply

• You want to try it sometime!

Comment by AnonW | December 14, 2011 | Reply

3. When I was working I used to really like Christmas as we used to shut down from Christmas Eve until the 2nd January.Our clients, mainly FMCG manufacturers and distributors, were recovering from the Christmas rush and so were not interested in meetings; nor did they have any support issues. It was the only time in the year when I could wind down. These days it is a terrible rush to get ready, then an incredible clean up operation afterwards! The cost is enormous and children who used to be so happy to open each present are overwhelmed by the volume of gifts.After a while they just open each package and I can see they are thinking “oh another toy”. Where is the excitement I got from opening a parcel and finding the next Mecanno set, or that balsa wood model I would spend many hours making and playing with. Maybe we just have too much now to appreciate anything new. If they ask, I tell people to buy me something consumable, like a bottle of wine or whiskey; I enjoy both in moderation.
    Enjoy your lunch, and buy yourself a good Christmas present and spend the rest of the day playing with it (remember boys never really grow up).

Comment by John Wright | December 14, 2011 | Reply

• Thanks, John. I shall probably take my camera and walk, after stocking up with lots of M&S gluten-free sandwiches in the week before.

I actually hope it’s very deep snow, as I should be able to get some good pictures. But it will probably rain hard.

Comment by AnonW | December 14, 2011 | Reply

4. […] year, I posted this called Christmas, Bloody […]

Pingback by Christmas Never Changes « The Anonymous Widower | November 29, 2012 | Reply