Poached Smoked Haddock With Poached Eggs

After my experience at the Hope Street Hotel in Liverpool, I thought I’d try to do this myself. I asked an honourable friend how to poach the fish and she suggested using the microwave. I then found this method on Yahoo.

If you don’t want to spend ages with the other recipes just put it in a shallow dish with a little milk and water (equal amounts) and a knob of butter on top then whack it into the microwave for three/mins full power.

Here’s what it looked like before it went in the microwave.

Smoked Haddock Before Cooking

And here it is after the cooking.

Smoked Haddock After Cooking

To poach the eggs, I used these mini-poachers from John Lewis.

Mini-Poachers From John Lewis

Here they are sitting in the pan.

Two Eggs Poaching

They can either sit or hang on the side. The eggs didn’t turn out of the poachers too well.

Poached Smoked Haddock and Poached Eggs

But they tasted alright and I suspect I’ll get them better next time.

By the way it looks like John Lewis is out of the mini egg poachers. Perhaps a lot of mothers are going to get them for Christmas. After all they only cost four pounds each.

November 13, 2012 - Posted by | Food | , , ,

1. Glad it worked!

Comment by houseportraits | November 14, 2012 | Reply

• It worked well. Did you like the egg poachers?

Comment by AnonW | November 14, 2012 | Reply

2. I’m looking for another yummy recipe to make this weekend!! “Like” my facebook page and submit your favorite fish recipe on my facebook page! Check out the post:

Comment by balancedpeanut | November 14, 2012 | Reply

• I don’t do Facebook. But feel free to post it yourself. Or a link!

Comment by AnonW | November 14, 2012 | Reply

3. I always poach my eggs by bringing a pan of water to a rolling boil, stir hard enough to make the water swirl in the pan and then just break the egg(s) into the swirling water. Very easy and only an almost clean pan to wash up or put in the dishwasher rather than having to scrub a poaching cup.

Comment by Helen P | November 14, 2012 | Reply

4. maybe pregrease your poaching cups with some butter? I would put some salt into boiling water for poaching. I would gently cook fish in liquid by putting into it when just on boil then turn off heat and cover pan and let it ‘sit for 10 mins or so. You could prob cook your eggs in the same water/milk mix?

Comment by Anne | November 14, 2012 | Reply

5. […] night I had poached smoked haddock and egg for supper. And very nice it was too, as it was a whole undyed fish from the fish counter in […]

Pingback by Where Is A Cat When You Need One? « The Anonymous Widower | December 14, 2012 | Reply

6. […] Poached Smoked Haddock With Poached Eggs […]

Pingback by A List Of Gluten-Free Recipes « The Anonymous Widower | July 27, 2013 | Reply