Carry On Blogging

At seventy-two and after recovering from a serious stroke ten years ago, I could be considered to be in a relatively high-risk category from COVID-19.

I also live alone and am a coeliac.

But.

• I have reasonable supplies of ready-meals, tea, milk, beer and packaged foods to last for a week.
  • I test my INR and on Friday it was 2.5.
  • I weigh about 61 Kg.
  • I exercise regularly and can easily walk a couple of miles briskly.
  • I have plenty of INR testing strips, with probably enough to last until August.
  • I have about two months of drugs, but there is supposed to be a system lunched this week to get drugs to people like me.
  • I have an on-line subscription to The Times, so I can read their news in detail and get access to all their puzzles.
  • I can walk round the corner to a shop, where I can get milk and other daily supplies.
  • I can easily walk to my GP’s surgery and the local Marks and Spencer Simply Food.
  • I have a son, who can put shopping on the door-step, ring the bell and run!
  • I have enough cash to pay for goods that neighbours or others might deliver.

I also have the great advantage, that my front door almost opens onto the street, so I can receive deliveries without meeting the courier, by just leaning out the window and telling them to put them on the step.

I very much feel, that I can set myself up to just carry on blogging.

Others can help here by doing the following.

• Suggest topics, where they would like my comments.
  • Sending me stories, that I might like to read on topics like battery-power, branch line reopening, design, energy storage, hydrogen-power, innovation, extreme science, humour and life in general.
  • Sending me positive stories about COVID-19.

It’s probably best, if you don’t send me stories from the BBC and The Times as I read them extensively.

I shall always reply, if I can. Hopefully, I will try and treat subjects in a light-hearted manner to ease the burden of these serious times.

We must all carry on!

March 22, 2020 - Posted by | Computing, Health, World | , , ,

1. Sounds a great idea, I will get thinking!

Comment by nosnikrapzil | March 22, 2020 | Reply

2. I suggest a topic, where I would like your comments: Crossrail.

I have three questions:

1) Which is at present the biggest problem from a technical point of view ?

2) Which are the milestones in the next 12 months where progress will be made ?

3) What do YOU think is the actual timeline for the total completion of this project ?

Comment by Wolfgang Maresch | March 22, 2020 | Reply

• 1,

The biggest technical problem is the signalling. They should have built a test track to simulate running between the three types of signalling.

Perhaps because Thameslink signalling seemed to go so well, they should have used the same signalling system on both lines.

Early this year, they intend to get trains running between Heathrow and Paddington. I think they’ll achieve this one.

Mid 2021, they intend to get trains running between Paddington and Abbey Wood. I think this may be a couple of months late, as there is a lot to do at Whitechapel.

I think the mid-2022 date is one that should be met. Although Bond Street station may be completed later.

Comment by AnonW | March 30, 2020 | Reply

• One more question please (for item 2):

Do you think that it would be a realistic option to start with this section asap
        by simply not stopping at Whitechapel until that station will be completed ?

Comment by Wolfgang Maresch | March 30, 2020

3. Being a Coeliac in itself is not a problem with Covid-19 but, many Coeliacs also unknowingly suffer with reduced Spleen function. This means a weakened immune system. So, another reason for staying isolated as much as possible.

Comment by mauricegreed | March 22, 2020 | Reply

4. I was wondering if you could make “virtual” visits to parts of the country, travelling on public transport according to what the timetables used to be, using rolling stock, etc. that one would expect to be on.

Comment by Neil H. Spencer | March 23, 2020 | Reply

5. Wolfgang,

Your suggestion of cutting out Whitechapel appears feasible to me.

As there is the precedent of opening Bond Street late, surely, if there was any chance of opening Whitechapel late to get trains running between Paddington and Abbey Wood, it would have at least been mentioned.

But as far as I know, it hasn’t! So perhaps there is another reason?

Comment by AnonW | March 30, 2020 | Reply