Blood Clot Risk Eight Times Higher From Covid Than AstraZeneca Vaccine, Study Finds

The title of this post, is the same as that of this article on The Telegraph.

This is the first two paragraphs.

The risk of a rare brain clot from coronavirus is approximately eight times greater the risk presented by the AstraZeneca jab, a University of Oxford study has found.

The research, which is yet to be peer-reviewed, and compared blood clot rates among 500,000 coronavirus patients with data from the roll-out of 34 million vaccine doses across Europe.

I will certainly be having my second AstraZeneca jab next Monday.

This press release on the Astra-Zeneca web site is entitled Oxford Phase III trials interim analysis results published in The Lancet.

This is an extract.

In addition to the Oxford led programme, AstraZeneca is conducting a large study in the US and globally. In total, Oxford University and AstraZeneca expect to enrol more than 60,000 participants globally.

The Telegraph article also says this.

The incidence of rates for cerebral venous thrombosis (CVT) – a rare blood clot on the brain – is 39 per million coronavirus patients, while it is five per million recipients of the AstraZeneca vaccine.

Note that five per million is 0.3 per 60,000.

Any participant, who got a blood clot in the AstraZeneca Phase III trial would have been a very unlucky person.

Those who say, that the AstraZeneca vaccine was rushed and that many more people should participated in the trials may have a point.

But countering that is my belief that data analysis has improved so much in the last twenty years that all the data on all the vaccines has been so thoroughly analysed by some of the best data analysts and analytic software, that most more common problems have been identified.

April 15, 2021 - Posted by | Health | , , , ,

1. A point I keep making to the vax-doubters.
    “AstraZeneca vaccine was rushed”. It was developed more quickly than we’re used to seeing because so much effort and money was put into it. With sufficient resource, you can do almost anything a lot faster!
    As for the AZ clot risk, the J&J vaccine is said to have produced a few cases as well. But whereas Denmark has stopped AZ altogether, Poland is going ahead with J&J. I think we can put a lot of the negative publicity down to vaccine nationalism rather than scientific data and sensible risk assessment.

Comment by Stephen Spark | April 15, 2021 | Reply

• We’re also very good at project management in this country. My software very much enabled North Sea Oil with dozens of systems installed in Aberdeen and the project management by HMRA has been top class, to minimise project time, without increasing risk.

I think Denmark has a clot obsession for some reason. I have a Danish friend and he will be getting back to me over the weekend.

Comment by AnonW | April 15, 2021 | Reply

• Each country makes its own assessment of the safety of a particular vaccine based on the data available to it. How does it become vaccine nationalism simply because a country comes to a different decision to the UK? In any case what does Denmark or Poland have to be nationalistic about when it comes to vaccines?

Comment by JohnC | April 16, 2021 | Reply

• Denmark is very much under the influence of Germany on this as in much else. And the French will happily turn anything into a matter of national pride. Given that the WHO has already been warning loud and clear about vaccine nationalism it’s hardly just my opinion.

Comment by Stephen Spark | April 17, 2021

2. I had my 2nd AZ this morning. And there was a massive queue of people all with appointments. When I explained that I would struggle to stand for the 20 minutes or so, they suggested I sit in the car, and then a few minutes later a nice doctor and nurse came and gave me the vac whilst I sat in the car. I had no qualms at all about having it. Leukaemia Care and other blood cancer charities have really stepped up to the mark over the pandemic with extra online support group meetings, webinars, posts etc. We had a webinar from the guy in charge of the Oxford AZ project, before any vaccines were available. And he explained why it wasn’t rushed, why it wouldn’t cause covid in people who had the vaccine – people with compromised immune systems can’t have live vaccines. But this one isn’t live – I don’t think any of the current ones are. He explained everything really well, which made me very confident that it was safe, and I hope that that was the one I would get. And I did. So I am now fully vaccinated. The anti-vaxers are really irritating me. Many seem to think having blood cancer is a reason NOT to have the vaccine. When the opposite is true.

Comment by nosnikrapzil | April 15, 2021 | Reply

• We are waiting for our 2nd AZ jab too. Of course the thing people must remember is that none of the vaccines gives you 100% immunity. Masks still need to be worn indoors and social distancing maintained. You can still catch the virus but it shouldn’t hospitalaize or kill you. Oh and you can still infect others. The vaccines are vital in the fight but so are the other measures. Eventually the virus will die down but probably never go away completely.

Comment by MauriceGReed | April 15, 2021 | Reply

• Coeliac UK haven’t done much except say Keep Calm And Carry On!

Comment by AnonW | April 15, 2021 | Reply

3. Service that comes with a jab!

Comment by AnonW | April 15, 2021 | Reply