The Day I Met the Queen

Turning out and weeding the files is mainly a depressing occupation.  But then occasionally, you come across a little gem.  I thought I’d lost this card, which was the invitation from the Palace to attend a Queen’s Award Reception.

Invitation to a Reception

Let’s say it was one of the best parties, I’ve ever been to!

The setting was msgnificent, the staff were attentive and welcoming and all in all you couldn’t have wanted for anything.

Three of us went, myself, Richard and John.

We met the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and actually talked for quite a time with the Duke of Kent.  It was also one of the first receptions, that Diana Spencer attended and most of the guests seemed to spend their time trying to talk to her. It wasn’t the most edifying of spectacles and we just enjoyed the setting, the food and the wine.  But not too much, as would you believe some captains of industry, did over indulge on the hospitality.

Metier won two Queen’s Awards, but you won’t find them on the Internet.  If I have one secret ambition it would be to win one for technology, but I’m a bit long in the tooth and too much of a wreck now!

But then everybody who has had a stroke should look to Louis Pasteur, who did some of his best work many years after he had had several.

December 8, 2010 - Posted by | Computing, Health | , ,

1. Ah yes, I remember it well and I still have Richard’s (aka Nobby’s) invitation amongst my papers. When I asked Nobby how it went, his only comment was to remark that the lady was really quite small in real life….

Comment by Skoupye | December 8, 2010 | Reply

2. The Richard was RICHARD Evan’s. Nobby must have gone the next year.

Comment by AnonW | December 9, 2010 | Reply

3. James

did not Pat Durbin go to one of these occasions and walked past the Duke of Kent because he thought he was a bodyguard!

John

Comment by john | January 10, 2011 | Reply

4. Americans have this obsession with security and heavies. We’re a lot more sensible.

Comment by AnonW | January 10, 2011 | Reply

5. I thought you might have forgotten this memorable day, James. As you will recall, it was you, me and Richard Evans. I also still have the invitation card and I’ve earned lots of social brownie points from my hand having touched Lady Diana, albeit rather briefly. I endorse all that you say about the day, which I hope will remain in my memory for some years yet, although I have already passed the 70 mark.

Comment by John Page | February 11, 2011 | Reply

6. You’re right John. Didn’t we got to the bar of the Trafalgar hotel, where I was staying, afterwards to meet Celia.

Comment by AnonW | February 11, 2011 | Reply

7. OK- I did walk passed him, but I thought he was some minor official. Prince Phillip had just been too engaged with the guy next to him to look at me and I though I was done!

That been said, James is right about the “feeling” of being there!

Comment by Pat Durbin | February 12, 2011 | Reply

• Remember Pat, next time you’re in London do pop in. There’s a bed if you want one, but bring your own crumpets

Sadly Tuesday is the funeral. Have you heard the sad news?

Comment by AnonW | February 13, 2011 | Reply

8. […] been to one of her good jollies and I enjoyed it.  But then you could say that I earned […]

Pingback by Has Anybody Asked The Queen? « The Anonymous Widower | January 16, 2012 | Reply

9. […] Palace to meet the Queen,several politicians and a few others, for a reception, which I described here. Each company incidentally sent three […]

Pingback by Mrs Thatcher: A Professional Woman « The Anonymous Widower | April 13, 2013 | Reply

10. […] The meeting is described in this post called The Day I Met the Queen. […]

Pingback by The Day I Shook Hands With The Duke Of Edinburgh « The Anonymous Widower | April 12, 2021 | Reply