Should We Exempt Low Alcohol Beer And Wine From The Age Regulations

I drink Marks & Spencer ).5% Southwold Pale Ale for four main reasons.

• It is low alcohol and doesn’t interact with the Warfarin, that I am prescribed to control the INR of my blood, so I don’t have another stroke.
  • Because it is made with less barley, it appears to be gluten-free to my body.
  • It also has the proper taste of real beer.
  • It is brewed by Adnams in Suffolk and I started drinking their beers at fourteen under supervision of my father, whilst we played snooker in Felixstowe Conservative Club.

As my GP says, at 0.25 alcohol units a 500 ml bottle, you’d have difficult drinking enough to affect your health.

There is one annoying thing about it and that is buying it.

This morning, I bought three bottles in the M & S store at the Angel, where my family has been shopping since before the First World War.

As I usually do, I used one of the automatic tills and had to wait for a minute or so, whilst the assistant verified that I was over eighteen.

The store was busy and she was helping someone with another till.

I wonder what would happen at the checkouts, if there was no age check on low alcohol beer and wine.

• It would obviously speed up the tills with some customers.
  • But would it have the affect of brewers and winemakers, making more quality low alcohol products?
  • And would these be purchased by those who knew they should cut their alcohol intake?

It’s probably one of those ideas, that would go down well in London boroughs like Barnet, Islington and Richmond, but how would it go down in places where alcohol was a necessary way of life for many?

How too, would such a drink fit with those of a Muslim faith?

September 19, 2018 - Posted by | Food, Health | , ,

1. Drinking alcohol is not actually forbidden the Koran. In 5 places it gives guidance on “the grape” I.e. wine such as do not partake of the grape so as to bring shame on your family and do not partake so as you cannot perform your work.

The total forbidding of alcohol seems to have been introduced a few hundred years later in the haddiths.

Comment by mauricegreed | September 19, 2018 | Reply

• Thanks! I thought someone woukd add to my thouhts!

Comment by AnonW | September 19, 2018 | Reply

2. IIRC I [legally] bought shandy and [Idris] limeade and lager when I was 12 or 13 in Scotland in the 1960’s. The tin said it was <1% and so then fell below licensing requirements.

Licensing Act 2003 may have changed requirements, but AIUI 16 & 17 year olds can still drink beer, wine or cider with meal, although they can not longer buy it themselves*.

* this was Prince William or Harry's get out when the press caught them having beers [with a meal] when they were that age.

Comment by Mark Clayton | September 19, 2018 | Reply

3. Top Deck shandy was my preferred school pack lunch beverage …

Comment by PJS | September 20, 2018 | Reply

4. Thanks for the nice information

Comment by ourhealthapps | October 3, 2018 | Reply

5. According to survey 0.27 alcohol units a 400 to 500 ml bottle, you’d have difficulty drinking enough to affect your health. While you drink alcohol, wine, or beer you age should over 18
    diamond glass set

Comment by ourhealthapps | October 3, 2018 | Reply

• I sometimes drink as many as three bottles. But then I need to drink a lot more fluids than most. I find that beer is best and the low alcohol beer has changed my life.

Comment by AnonW | October 3, 2018 | Reply