Why Did WordPress Do That?

I was happily editing a post, when in the middle of typing a sentence, WordPress swapped me to the awful block editor.

How do I get rid of this load of crap?

I downloaded the classic editor plugin. How do I install it?

I thought the covids were worse, but this is much worse. All my posts are now unable to be edited.

September 22, 2020 - Posted by | Computing |

1. Have a look round — https://wordpress.org/support/view/all-topics/

Might be an answer there or post a question.

Comment by MauriceGReed | September 22, 2020 | Reply

2. I have emailed a friend and will let you know any suggestions.

Comment by MauriceGReed | September 23, 2020 | Reply

• Thanks!

Comment by AnonW | September 23, 2020 | Reply

3. I think there is a Classic Block. However, WordPress has ended Classic Editor and it is only block editor from now on. It annoyed me too, at first, but actually it is quite easy to use and I have converted one or two older posts to block editor. If all else fails write to Support. What you may also find is that your ‘Theme’ is no longer supported and you may have to update, which will mean block editing in the future. You will manage!

Comment by Candy Blackham | September 23, 2020 | Reply

4. Thanks! But, it’s arrogance of the highest level in the style of Apple and Microsoft.

I write as the designer of Artemis, which was the first successful small project management computer system. In 1977, I designed the system around a VDU, a Hewlett-Package mini-computer and a printer. As new hardware, arrived, we never gave the customer unpleasant surprises and in the 1980s, we had about half the market for project management systems in large projects.

When we sold the company, management broke the easy-update rule and where is Artemis now?

You annoy customers at your peril!

Comment by AnonW | September 23, 2020 | Reply

5. Try this link:— https://gogutenberg.com/disable-gutenberg/

Comment by MauriceGReed | September 23, 2020 | Reply

6. Any joy?

Comment by MauriceGReed | September 23, 2020 | Reply

7. Not really! But I have to create posts in the block editor and then edit them in the classic editor!

This new editor means you have to read the manual in detail. The classic editor was intuitive!

Comment by AnonW | September 23, 2020 | Reply