Carluccio’s Or Starbucks?

This is a decision, I have to make every Monday morning at the Angel.

Normally, if I want a coffee early in the morning, as I’m off to the shops, I go to the cafe opposite.

But on Monday they are shut and I also generally go to the Angel to get my provisions for the first few days of the week.

So do I go to Carluccio’s or Starbucks for my pre-shopping coffee, whilst I work out what to buy.

For some time, I’ve gone to Starbucks, as it’s close to Waitrose, but recently, I’ve started to use the Carluccio’s a little further away.

Could this be because of all the publicity about Starbucks tax position in the UK?

After all, their coffee is only ten pence more, you get a comfortable seat and friendly staff, the queues are minimal and if you need to use the medical comforts, they are clean and excellent.

It will be interesting to see, how many people change their coffee habits!

November 26, 2012 - Posted by | Food, News | , , ,

1. I’ve changed. If Starbucks (and others) can’t see that it is unethical to make a lot of money in this country but avoid paying taxes here, then I won’t use them. They argue that they pay a lot in PAYE and NICs, but that is not true. They are not paying their money, but paying money on behalf of their staff, that their staff have earned. There are plenty of coffee houses around that do pay UK taxes and I would encourage other people to do the same. If Starbucks started to lose money they would soon realise that it could be cheaper to pay UK taxes rather than the taxes in some tax haven.

Comment by John Wright | November 26, 2012 | Reply

• My problem with not using Starbucks, is that they are one of the few places where i can get a decent gluten-free snack on the move. Although, this is generally not a problem, as there are alternatives. But if I go to Ipswich for the football, Starbucks is the only place I can get a gluten-free snack.

Comment by AnonW | November 26, 2012 | Reply

2. There is a Starbucks concession in my gym, so I have Starbucks after personal trainer session on Monday. My preferred coffee is Caffe Nero but we dont have a local one

Comment by Liz P | November 26, 2012 | Reply

3. The other good thing for me about Carluccio’s is the toilets are better. Since the stroke, I’ve had the odd problem with my gut, which thankfully has now subsided, but good toilets are a must for me. I suppose as your Starbucks is in a gym, the loos are good.

Comment by AnonW | November 26, 2012 | Reply

4. They are good. The place is nice generally. There is a restaurant which I havent tried yet, but will do at some stage. At the time I am there, around 6.30 am the restaurant isnt generally open for investigation

Comment by Liz P | November 26, 2012 | Reply

5. […] have some coffee. It could have been after I saw Skyfall. But it was certainly no later than this post, where I mused about the dilemma. That would be eight weeks without a Starbucks […]

Pingback by I’m Keeping Out Of Starbucks « The Anonymous Widower | January 14, 2013 | Reply