Have I Regressed To My Childhood?

Growing up in the early 1950s in London, I wasn’t the healthiest of children.

• At some time most winters, I would have several weeks off school with a severe cold with extras.
  • I can remember my mother cutting up old sheets for hankerchiefs.
  • These would be boiled after use in a large saucepan on the gas cooker.
  • I would  cough all night and a good part of the day.
  • I would  inhale steam from a large jug of hot water and Friar’s Balsam.

Dr. Egerton White was always round our house.

Things improved towards the end of the 1950s.

• The passing of the Clean Air Act in 1956.
  • I would be given penicillin which seemed to help. Naughty! Naughty!
  • At weekends we’d go to Felixstowe.

What finally improved my health was going to Liverpool University.

Now over fifty years later, I’ve got a cold like I had in the 1950s.

• I can’t stop coughing for more than ten or twenty minutes.
  • Nothing seems to work to stop the cough!
  • It’s gone on for eight days now!
  • I’m not getting much sleep.

Could the pollution from all the diesel vehicles be the key?

January 3, 2019 - Posted by | Health | , , , ,

1. It could be the pollution, although everyone seems to have the same thing at present. I find a water based nasal spray called Sterimar helps my nose and sinuses and loosens the catarrh. Sucking small pieces of very dark chocolate – I use Green and Blacks 85% – deals with the cough to some extent, it stops the irritating throat tickle. Sleeping seated might help. BUT really you need to see doctor, or go to NHS drop in centre. Because you could have a chest infection, and antibiotics will help if you have. Take care and be gentle with yourself. xx

Comment by nosnikrapzil | January 3, 2019 | Reply

2. I have the Sterimar in front of me.

I’ve seen two doctors and I’ll try the chocolate. I’ve always been a chocolate sucker, but since Cadburys were taken over and they now use that glucose substitute for sugar, I don’t indulge.

Comment by AnonW | January 3, 2019 | Reply

3. There is a nasty bug going around at the moment. I have nearly 2,000 bushes that should have been planted in Nov/Dec, but the guy that manages the works has had a nasty cough and cold symptoms for the last 6 weeks. He works mainly out of doors, in the country, quite a long way from major traffic. Perhaps you have this bug. If so i will get better.

Comment by John Wright | January 3, 2019 | Reply

• One thing, I used to suck, was Bassetts aniseed int Imperials, but I haven’t seen them in ages.

Comment by AnonW | January 3, 2019 | Reply

4. Maybe a trip to Liverpool Uni is called for? LOL

Comment by mauricegreed | January 3, 2019 | Reply

5. I owe the City a visit!
    I had intended to go, when the new trains were running.

Comment by AnonW | January 3, 2019 | Reply